Easter 5 Abide with me

I do wish that blogger hadn't changed the publishing thingy: I haven't got time or patience to work it out right now!


1 John 4:7-21
 John 15:1-8



I'm interested in the word 'abide' in both the John and the 1 John readings. 
We must abide in Christ and abide in Christ's love: that is the only way to health and strength as the body.

I've just started reading Kenda Dean's "Almost Christian" -and  have been very struck by her assertion that it is not that our generation has failed to teach the next about the faith, it's just that we have taught them a wishy-washy, watered down faith which basically tells people to be nice. If we abide in Christ we are light-years away from this sort of luke-warm faith, and instead inhabit a living faith and allow it to inhabit us. Then we can teach our children what real faith is.


For the first time I can ever remember, I may actually choose 'Abide with me' as one of the hymns for the service on Sunday!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Faith and Guidance

Abraham and Isaac - a good question!

Epiphany 2: Nathanael... & Jacob