Feeling Gloomy

So is it the lack of sunshine on my pineal gland, the shortening days, or the putting away of Summer sandals & breaking out of Winter boots - but I'm feeling gloomy. Actually it's none of those things, it's most likely the fact that one of my churches is having a wobble about existence. It doesn't matter which one it is - all four could point to falling numbers on Sunday mornings, lack of people to do jobs, wondering how to be relevant to the world around... you get the picture. The problem (I am told by a wise friend) is the Decline of the Christian Church in the West. Please note the capitals - this is a BIG phenomenon and as such it is not my fault. But I am the one who will get up on her hind legs on Sunday to preach the gospel to people who are worried about the future.

So what to say?
The readings are:
Haggai 1:15b-2:9 or Job 19: 23 – 27a; 2 Thessalonians 2: 1-5, 13-17; Luke 20: 27-38

At first sight the OT & Epistle look like 'keep on going' kind of messages and the Gospel looks way off beam with the Sadducees question about marriage in heaven (errr... who cares?). But I am starting to see a link - a shared concern between us and the Sadducees to get the future sorted out, to know exactly what's going to happen. But Jesus doesn't tell us, he just tells us to trust.
And wait and see what God is going to do. And remember that soon it will be Advent & the Lord will come - but not as we expect.

Full notes to follow as & when available!

Comments

Lythan said…
One of the things I am going with is the "Stand firm" line in Thessalonians. We will sing the WG song "Stand o stand firm" and I will ask people from vairous groups/types to stand while the rest of us encourage them eg "Oh you elders stand very firm, stand o stand firm...." Sometimes that is all we can do. Or sit. But if we can focus on being perhaps that will help us work out what and where we shall be tomorrow.
Ruth said…
ooh thank you Lythan - I didn't know this but I found it in a book. With a congregation of just 12 we may not break into groups.. but I love the idea!
Thanks x

Popular posts from this blog

Faith and Guidance

Abraham and Isaac - a good question!

Epiphany 2: Nathanael... & Jacob