Early thoughts from July 26th

The readings I will be using are

Ephesians 3:14-21
John 6:1-21

The OT lesson of David, Bathseheba & Uriah the Hittite (2 Samuel 11:1-15) is almost too wonderful NOT to preach on, but as I have a baptism at each church I think it may be just too convoluted to tackle with a largely 'unchurhed' congregation on a one-off occasion (shame!)

So these are my thoughts so far:

I admit to being completely hooked on the Fourth Plinth in Trafalgar Square, Anthony Gormley's 'One & Other' installation, in which a different person each hour occupies the empty plinth & has a completely free choice of what to do. Some people have raised awareness of charities, some have simply admired the view & taken photos of the world below, others have exercised or even prayed.

What would you do –how would you share something meaningful for an hour?

I thought about the plinth when I read the gospel story for today – Jesus feeding the 5000, & stilling the storm.
Now if you could do either of those things on the plinth – That would really make an impact.

But for Jesus the very act of being on earth here at all was, if you like his ‘plinth moment’ – God become human – come to earth to live a normal human life – a life we can see and touch and hear.

Jesus shows us God not in heaven but here – on a plinth – with us.

And Jesus ends up not just on a plinth but on the cross – to show us the extremity of his love: the ‘breadth, length, depth and height’ of it as Paul writes.

These baptisms show us God with us throughout life – God joining us on the plinth of existence in Jesus – helping us to make the most of our lives, our moments – to live with him & know we are loved.

So perhaps if I took to the plinth I would take with me a huge font of water, to sprinkle everyone below as a sign of God’s love for them and presence with them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Faith and Guidance

Abraham and Isaac - a good question!

Spring IS coming!